Let me put it this way. Let’s assume youth are vital, critical, imperative, essential, necessary to the ministry of our church! (A single adjective just didn’t give this sentence quite the punch I wanted. Let me continue!) Key, important, indispensable, required, and urgent to our church’s ministry. In short, every youth needs to hear the words, “We need you!”
- Learn and practice the skills from Peer Ministry Leadership yourself. “Live it before you teach it!”
- Teach Peer Ministry Leadership! <CLICK> to ask how to begin!
- Help your adults become models and mentors, with the skills of Peer Ministry Leadership.
- When you gather for discussions, use TALK-ABOUTS. These are twelve discussions about caring, welcoming and affirming others!
- Ask about concerns for others. I call it “Spirit Nudges,” What did you see, hear or sense that concerned you this week?
- Give youth a project to do with people each week. If you know what “WHEAT” is, challenge them to WHEAT at least six people this week and share experiences next week! (Learn about how to WHEAT from Peer Ministry Curriculum.)
- Read and start using some of the 24 Youth-Lead strategies <CLICK>
- ASK about YOUTH-LEAD coaching. “Youth are either leading or leaving.” Take seriously the development of strategies where kids are not leaving.