I had the privilege to meet the St. Luke’s Peer Ministry team in Middleton, WI.
I get very excited when I discover a church that understands the importance of equipping and then takes the next step of allowing youth to lead.
Some of the things I heard!
- I love helping on 7th and 8th grade retreats! – Max
- I feel like we have become role models. – Danial
- We build faith-based relationships. – Kristen
- I am now leading the HS youth ministry nights. – Josh, (now a college Sr)
- It was keeps me involved in the church. – Emily
- We help others grow in their faith. – Grace
- I love seeing kids around town. I feel like I know them. – Katy
- It is fun being kids friend outside of the church also. – Lexi
These youth told me about leading sixth grade confirmation, about going on multiple retreats, about traveling with “Rollar-Coasters and Jesus.” (also a mission trip!) along with other church opportunities.
Here is what is happening! Confirmation youth will continue to be involved beyond their confirmation day, BECAUSE of the High School caring, and welcoming Peer Ministry relationships. As younger youth grow up in this church they will of course want to be leaders.
My prediction! St. Luke’s will soon be needing to create more and more HS leadership teams and opportunities as more and more youth hear from their church, “We need you!” and as they hear from older teens, “You too can be a leader!”
Yes, “Youth are either leading or they are leaving!”
This is not just another model, it is an essential direction for youth ministry.
What to do with this?
__ Say, “That’s nice!”
__ Look into to adopting this model
__ Contact PML <CLICK>