(On WED of the Living Room Summits you will visit Parent Share and then learn from Marilyn in her Living Room during the afternoon.)
with Marilyn Sharpe
“Parenting is inherently a profound and transforming spiritual journey for both parent and child…Growing kids faithfully will take you a lifetime and always be in process.”
– from For Heaven’s Sake! – by Marilyn Sharpe
Every Wednesday morning of the year for the past 32 years, Marilyn has been at her congregation, involved in parent education. She is either facilitating Parents Share, a
parenting group in which parents celebrate their strengths, give and receive support, and glean wisdom from other parents, or teaching a parenting class.
Why? Especially in an area where there is such a commitment to and wide-spread availability of early childhood education, why would she do this in a church? Since Marilyn believes that parenting is inherently a spiritual endeavor, and she knows that virtually all parents feel ill-prepared to do this, our congregations need to be equipping posts. She is committed to braiding together the best in parenting skills with effective, practical faith formation for all of a family’s life together.
What? Wednesday we will:
- Discuss the creation, care, and tending of a parent support group
- Experience a parenting group
- Explore how you might do this in your congregation
- Identify the top issues in parenting
- Examine resources for congregation-based parent education
- Sample a parenting class
- Plan for your congregation
Marilyn is a parent, a grandparent, and a Certified Family Life Educator, with a mad passion both for parenting and for passing on faith to the children and youth we love. She knows firsthand the joys and sorrows, the triumphs and challenges of being a family.
She is committed to helping parents become the best and most effective they can be. Marilyn helps parents and congregations work together to pass on faith and values to all of the children and youth. She is dedicated to helping congregations equip households to nurture faith in all of the generations, all of the time, wherever they are.
Want to learn more?
1. Come to the Living Room Summit! (see below)
2. Saturate your congregation with an introduction to this ministry with Marilyn Sharpe. Inquire about this possibility or schedule time with Marilyn by contacting her by EMAIL.